Retailers and Wholesalers have been facing the problem of not being able to register under the MSME Scheme as the same has not been permitted since the time MSME Registration was implemented. When MSME Registration was converted into Udyog Aadhar even then the registration of Retailers & Wholesalers was not permitted by the Ministry of MSME. Even though the NIC code list consisted of activities of Retailers & Wholesalers under the broad category of 45, 46 & 47 still their registration was not permitted and the same was mentioned in the Circular issued on 27th June 2017. Further, when Udyam Registration was implemented even then the Ministry of MSME did not allow Retailers and Wholesalers to obtain registration under the MSME scheme and avail benefits granted under it.
For long the Retailers & Wholesalers of India have been making continuous representations to the Ministry of MSME and requesting them to be allowed to obtain registration under the MSME Scheme to avail benefits granted under the scheme.
Finally, it seems that the Ministry of MSME under its new leadership has listened to the people of India and has issued the below circular.
The Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises through its , has allowed the activities of Retail and Wholesale Trading falling under the broad categories of 45, 46 & 47 of the NIC Codes to obtain Udyam Registration.
NIC Codes now approved are elaborated as follows:
- • 45 – Wholesale and retail trade and repair of motor vehicle and motorcycles
- • 4510 – Sale of Motor Vehicles
- • 4520 –Maintenance & Repair of Motor Vehicles
- • 4530 – Sale of Motor Vehicle Parts & Accessories
- • 4540 – Sale, Maintenance & Repair of Motorcycles and related parts and accessories
- • 46 – Wholesale trade except of motor vehicles and motor cycles
- • 4610 – Wholesale on a fee or contract basis
- • 4620 – Wholesale of agricultural raw materials and live animals
- • 4630 – Wholesale of food, beverages and tobacco
- • 4641 – Wholesale of household goods, textiles, clothing and footwear
- • 4649 – Wholesale of other household goods
- • 4651 – Wholesale of machinery, equipment and supplies, computers, computer peripheral equipment and software
- • 4652 – Wholesale of electronic and telecommunications equipment and parts
- • 4653 – Wholesale of agricultural machinery, equipment and supplies
- • 4659 – Wholesale of other machinery and equipment
- • 4661 - Wholesale of solid, liquid and gaseous fuels and related products
- • 4662 - Wholesale of metals and metal ores
- • 4663 - Wholesale of construction materials, hardware, plumbing and heating equipment and supplies
- • 4669 - Wholesale of waste and scrap and other products
- • 4690 - Non-specialized wholesale trade
- • 47 – Retail Trade except of Motor Vehicles and motor cycles
- • 4711 - Retail sale in non-specialized stores with food, beverages or tobacco predominating
- • 4719 - Other retail sale in non-specialized stores
- • 4721 - Retail sale of food, beverages and tobacco in specialized stores
- • 4722 - Retail sale of beverages in specialized stores
- • 4723 - Retail sale of tobacco products in specialized stores
- • 4730 - Retail sale of automotive fuel in specialized stores
- • 4741 - Retail sale of computers, peripheral units, software and telecommunications equipment in specialized stores
- • 4742 - Retail sale of audio and video equipment in specialized stores
- • 4751 - Retail sale of textiles in specialized stores
- • 4752 - Retail sale of hardware, paints and glass in specialized stores
- • 4753 - Retail sale of carpets, rugs, wall and floor coverings in specialized stores
- • 4759 - Retail sale of electrical household appliances, furniture, lighting equipment and other household articles in specialized stores
- • 4761 - Retail sale of books, newspapers and stationary in specialized stores
- • 4762 - Retail sale of music and video recordings in specialized stores
- • 4763 - Retail sale of sporting equipment in specialized stores
- • 4764 - Retail sale of games and toys in specialized stores
- • 4771 - Retail sale of clothing, footwear and leather articles in specialized stores
- • 4772 - Retail sale of pharmaceutical and medical goods, cosmetic and toilet articles in specialized stores
- • 4773 - Other retail sale of new goods in specialized stores
- • 4774 - Retail sale of second-hand goods
- • 4781 - Retail sale via stalls and markets of food, beverages and tobacco products
- • 4782 - Retail sale via stalls and markets of textiles, clothing and footwear
- • 4789 - Retail sale via stalls and markets of other goods
- • 4791 - Retail sale via mail order houses or via Internet
- • 4799 - Other retail sale not in stores, stalls or markets
The above mentioned activities are now allowed to obtain registration under Udyam Registration.
It is important to note that even though Retailers and Wholesalers have been allowed to obtain registration, the benefits granted under the MSME Scheme by the Ministry of MSME will not be passed on to these applicants by default. Currently, the benefits have been restricted to Priority Sector Lending only.
The enterprises who have been able to obtain Udyog Aadhaar Memorandum under the above stated NIC codes can now migrate to Udyam Registration or apply for a fresh Udyam Registration.